Friday, January 14, 2011

Something to learn...

So I thought this was a pretty cool.... umm... what's the word? Uh.. catch phrase maybe??? (I don't know...)

Pray- you talk to God
Read the Bible- God talks to you
Witness- you talk for God

I just thought that was pretty cool.

Anyway!!
I am super glad I have had time lately to catch up with old friends. I have seriously missed them. And this sounds sorta backwards with what a lot of people say to do these days, but I have actually been able to do MORE stuff in a day. Everyone says we need to clear out of schedule and do less... but I am trying to do more! It's not like I'm crunched on time...  I was just being lazy and not making the effort.

The other Sunday at church, my pastor was talking about priorities and how to fit everything into our day that we need to fit it. The illustration he used was so cool and totally made sense! God has to be the first priority... period! When we keep God as our first priority, his priorities become our priorities and he makes a way for us to fit all of our priorities into our day! That means investing time into relationships and spending time with God comes before going shopping for myself or sitting infront the tv (or for me... the computer). Even if I don't get time in day to do the stuff I think is a priority, if I keep God's priorities first and get those done, I go to sleep happy and content with my day. Whereas if I do what I think is more of a priority... I go to sleep feeling like I have not accomplished anything and something is still lacking! I'm sure this is true for EVERYONE.

So... what have I been adding/subtracting from my day? Well... instead of just being lazy and doing nothing, I make time for my friends more... going out to dinner and just chatting. I've always made time for church. My worst thing is making time to do a daily devotional. I used to do it first thing in the morning, but seeing as I have to get up between 430-5am for work, I don't really have time in the mornings. I guess maybe I need to right after work. I love the gym and always have been good at making time for that. Sometimes making time for myself is good too.  It's all about balance! I can't spend too much time with God and not enough time with friends. I can't spend too much time with friends and not enough with myself and I can't spend too much time for myself and miss out on relationships. It's all about balance! Oh, and of course I make time to see my boyfriend everyday =)

Yesterday I met with my pastor for lunch to talk about doing some missions stuff. I am super excited to start planning a mission trip for the youth group at church! We agreed that everyone should go on a missions trip atleast once. It will change your life! (It did me! My first mission trip was too Athens, Greece in 2004. Since then... it's always been in the back of mind of something I'd love to do!) I can't think of anything better then traveling and seeing the world and learning new cultures, all while helping people. I don't want to live boxed inside my "safe" little world, over here in America where I've never had to go a minute without food if I didn't want too (although if I chose not to go a minute without food I would be morbidly obese I am sure!), I've never had to go without clean, running water, a house, clothes, health care, etc. I can't help but wonder what I could learn from someone... even a little kid... who's been working since they were 3. Who has to help his/her parents carry water to there "house" every morning so they have water for the day. Who's biggest dream would be going to school... something every kid takes for granted here. How sad it is to see all that we have here in the U.S. that we take for granted, where people all over the world wouldn't know what to think or do if they had those things. How blessed we are to live in America. I, for one, will be the first to admit that I have a thing, or two, or a thousand, to learn from a family in a third world country who doesn't have what I would think of as "much". They may not have much material stuff, but what they do have I am sure is much more valuable then my "material stuff". It's the stuff that the Bible says will "withstand the fire". It's the stuff that MATTERS.

Wow... that was all random and came out of nowhere it seems. I think it's time for some breakfast now before I hit the gym! (Something unheard of in Africa I am sure!).

PS- 2 days till my birthday! Yay! Pizza/cake with my family tonight, work all day tomorrow (both jobs!), church Sunday and then that night, a birthday dinner with friends! I have lots to be thankful for and look forward too!

3 comments:

  1. hey, jess :) really enjoying reading your entries! i think it's so true about finding a good balance in life and being sure to make time for God most importantly. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks girl! i love reading your blog too. i love to write... mainly about stuff that is important to me and that goes through my mind. few people know that i like to write. i have journals GALORE in my room! i've read that you are writing a book.. that' really cool!!! good luck with it =) how is everything going? you like to run, right? well... sorta from how it seems hehehe. do you run races? if you ever need a running partner let me know! i'd love to run with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you! i love to write as well. probably my favorite thing to do. that's awesome you enjoy it so much. i'm the same way with the journals- i love journals! and thanks about the book :) everything's going really well here. i'm starting to get into running.. i've been doing it pretty regularly for the past couple months. my friends and i have done some 5Ks before, and we're doing a relay marathon in april. that'd be awesome to get together and run sometime! just let me know! how's everything with you these days?

    ReplyDelete