Saturday, January 8, 2011

Goals

So I have been thinking about how important goals are. Without goals, you have no vision. The Bible says, Proverbs 29:18 (Amplified Bible) "Where there is no vision [no redemptive revelation of God], the people perish; but he who keeps the law [of God, which includes that of man]--blessed (happy, fortunate, and enviable) is he." 
So pretty much what I think it is saying is without a vision and goals and something to strive for, we just walk aimlessly through life without joy, without hope, just frustrated and depressed. I know sometimes when I lack motivation to do anything I feel like that. If we would only read the Bible and REALLY apply what it says, we would all be SO much happier. I still catch myself thinking at times, "why does God "restrict" us so much. it's so hard to fight against our own will. it's not fair. it sucks." Then I remind myself that first of all, God doesn't "restrict us" cause he's a fun sucker and doesn't want us to be happy. I have heard someone say before that freedom is having the ability to WAIT or say NO, not being able to do what we want, when we want, however much we want. Boundaries keep us free and safe. And tied to that is this... God created us. He created the world. He created everything. He decided how it should run, what is good. He knows what will make us happy. HE KNOWS WHAT HE CREATED US FOR. So when he says to do, or not do, something, it's for our own good because HE CREATED US AND KNOWS WHAT IS GOOD FOR US. God made us to strive for things and to have dreams. He created us to reach our goals and dreams, and then go further to bigger goals and dreams. He wants to show us how big he is and how strong he is by helping us achieve things that are not possible with us. So anyway, with that said, here is my list of goals for 2011.


1) Run a half marathon. I love running! I used to not be able to run like even a mile... and now the longest run I have done is 7 miles! That's over a 10k right there.. that's petty freakin awesome to me. (Don't laugh). Now going out and running for fun is different then racing. For whatever reason I break down under pressure and even with running with people. I lose every ounce of confidence I have in myself... so running a race, much less a half marathon, will be scary. Words of wisdom to myself: Don't put my confidence in me, but in God. And don't judge myself by how other people run/times but rather on how far I MYSELF have come.


2) See at least one of the "7 Natural Wonders of the World". Hey... I love to travel. So why not make that a goal? Life's too short not to be in awe of nature all around us.


3) Read the whole New Testament in the Bible. Starting with Matthew and ending in Revelation. No more using the excuse, "I just don't know where to star." Cause now I do!


Then of course there are other little "resolutions" and whatnot, but these are goals that have a set point that I will either accomplish or not accomplish. And I think these 3 are an even balance of body, mind, and spirit. It's going to be a good year =).

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jess! Really enjoyed your entry :) And I loved the message, especially the part about how God knows what will make us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! Glad you liked it =)

    ReplyDelete