Saturday, January 1, 2011

A new year...

A new year means new things. For me, this blog will be new. I used to journal ALL the time, and here the last year or so, I sort've stopped. But it is SO helpful at remembering stuff. Maybe it's just the kind of learner I am. I can try to remember things in my mind, and sometimes I am good at it, but if I really want to remember things, writing is the best way. I've always been a huge talker, so I guess this is sort've like talking, right?

So everyone has New Years resolutions. I finally sat down to write mine out (see... I have to write to remember.) Here they are:

1) Make time for myself and God everyday- Bible reading, praying, etc. This is a must. Everyday. No exceptions.

2) Live in the "present". I can not say enough how much I know I have missed out on because I'm not living in the "here and now". The saying is so true... "It's called the 'present' because where we are right now is a present from God."

3) Live, learn, and love. Let's face it... we are all selfish. We want to talk about ourselves and what we have done and what we have and what we want and we make it all about us. There is a time and place to talk to people about ourselves (how else do we get to know people?) but most people take everything to excess! I want to make it a point to LISTEN more, and to be genuinely interested in every single person I come in contact with every single day. Who knows how many awesome, inspiring, and thought-provoking people I have missed because I was to caught up in myself. Or how much wisdom I have missed out on because I didn't try to learn something from someone or listen to what they have to say and there thoughts. Sadly I am sure I have missed a lot of opportunities because I pre-maturely judged the person. Not in a conscious way, but just by subconsciously deciding beforehand that this person has nothing good to say, nothing worth listening to. I want to be slow to speak and quick to listen. And I can not stress enough to myself how utterly important it is to break out of the "religion" mindset and do what the Bible says... and that is to love people. I am learning a whole new meaning to what it means to love people. I have a bad habit of blurting out what I think and how I feel and I often times end up with my foot in my mouth (figuratively speaking) because I want people to hear what I have to say and how I feel about things. The only way to really grow and learn is at the feet of others. As a christian I believe I am called to love God and love people. Period. End of story. And I am beginning to see now that in order to REALLY do that, we have to break out of the box of religion that man has made. God never intended for us to get saved and then hide away from the world. I believe He intended to change our lives and help us fall in love with Him so we can go out and live in the world and show people the purpose and satisfaction He gives us and wants to give everyone. That means meeting people where they are... whether picking up a drunk friend at a party, hanging out with "non-christians", or just going and hanging out with homeless people. Maybe it's talking to the person that everyone considers weird and is an outcast. The possibilities are as vast as the number of people. (That's a lot incase you didn't know).

4) Take care of my health. I really need to eat healthier and take care of my body. It's easy to get into the mindset when I work out a lot to eat whatever I want, because after all, I'm working out and burning all the calories. But I need to take care of my body nutritionally. It's the only one I get. (All things are good in moderation).

2011 is going to be an awesome year. I know it is. I am actually in the early stages of planning something that I have wanted to do for a couple years now, and I feel like this year is the year for it. I was too young before, and I can't wait forever because one day I will have kids and other responsibilities. I have not told anyone yet (for fear of getting talked out of it), but it will probably be the biggest thing I have ever done. And that's all I am going to say. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment